Sunday, December 9, 2012

Leah's Snickerdoodle Chex Mix. Easiest Chex Mix Holiday Appetizer Ever.

I am not a cook, and I will never claim that I am. However, it's the holiday season which means parties! I'm always wondering what in the world I should make and take. I have a few different tried and true recipes to fall back on, but I wanted to branch out a bit for tomorrow's party. I was reading the back of my cereal box at breakfast yesterday, and I saw this recipe for Snickerdoodles Chex Mix. 

It claimed a prep time of a whopping fifteen minutes, and I perused the ingredients. As I read over the list, my mouth started watering, so I figured I would give it a try. Anytime I come across something easy and quick, I love to share it. Working moms don't have loads of extra time, so it's nice to find something fast! Also, here's a disclaimer--if you google search "Snickerdoodles Chex Mix"--I completely overhauled a lot of their recipe and made it my own. 

 Leah's Snickerdoodles Chex Mix.

Here's what you'll need:

1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups Cinnamon Chex Cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Chex Cereal (the recipe called for Chocolate Chex Cereal, but I couldn't find it.)
4 cups popped kettle corn popcorn
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 bag of Peanut M&Ms
1 bag of Chocolate M&Ms (and feel free to change this up, too...pretzel M&Ms, mint M&Ms)

(NO, I did not promise a healthy recipe, did I?)


1. In a small bowl, mix your sugar and cinnamon, set it aside.
2. In a large microwavable bowl, mix cereals and popcorn.

3. In a 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on high about 40 seconds or until melted. Pour butter over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.


4. Microwave uncovered on high for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute.
5. Add a little more butter. Stir some more, microwave on high.
6. Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture evenly over the cereal mixture; stir. Microwave for 1 minute.
7. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture; stir. Microwave 1 minute longer.
8. Spread on wax paper or paper towels to cool. (I used aluminum foil and cookie sheets.) After cooling mix in desired amounts of M&Ms.
9. Store in airtight container.
10. Serve!

I think this would be great if you added pretzels to the mix, various M&M flavors, and perhaps nuts. I just wanted to keep it simple & relatively inexpensive so I stuck to just a few ingredients. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment