Sunday, December 9, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Christmas Card Holder. (Revisit)

Hey, guys! I'm taking this gem from last year out of the archives to hopefully inspire you to do some fun Christmas pinning and crafting! I made this last year, and I hope to enjoy it the entire holiday season. I thought it would be a fun thing to put back on the blog. Enjoy my Christmas card holder!

I've been a little obsessed with Pinterest lately. I mean, I could care less about Facebook and Twitter these days. Maybe not completely true, but I am loving finding my crafty self again! There was a time (true story) that I was on staff at a church as a children's ministry intern in charge of all the crafting for the entire summer at my home church. I ran kids crafts for a mission trip back in 2006. I love to craft, but I haven't done it for myself in years until Pinterest came along. Suddenly, I see things like this being "pinned" on Pinterest...

and I think...I can make that!

So now that I'm off I decided to take some of my "free time" to make a Christmas card holder for our wall at home. I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased some basic supplies to mimic the $75 version above. Yes, they sale these for $75!

What you'll need:
1. Various size paint brushes ($5.99 with 30% off sale)
2. Acrylic paint (I bought the cheap $0.67 version with 30% off sale)
3. a canvas (mine was $8.99 with a 40% off coupon)
4. one yard of burlap ($3.99)
5. various ribbon (purchased 90 feet of deco mesh for $4.99 and had the red ribbon from a student Christmas gift for free)

I originally thought I'd free hand the words and paint around them.
DSCN0344
I quickly decided I'd rather take my chances painting on top of some deep colors.
DSCN0345
I used a kiddie plate with three separate compartments to separate my green, red, and white.
DSCN0346
I painted a kid like tree on the right side because I thought their version needed something a little extra. I painted the left side a deep red.
DSCN0348
Make sure to paint all around the sides so that you don't have a white canvas left over.
DSCN0349
Then I started with the penmanship. The hardest part was the actual writing, and I'm still not happy with it. But it will do for my first time painting on a canvas.
DSCN0356
I noticed I had some "bleed lines" so I decided to remedy that by painting white on top of those lines to make the tree look "flocked."
DSCN0358
This took a lot of time, I won't lie. I started at noon, and I was done (with several hours of dry time) by about seven that evening.
DSCN0360
Then I got out my burlap purchased at HobLob and started cutting long narrow strips.
DSCN0361
I took the assorted ribbons and layered them on top of the burlap and glued them down with the hot glue gun.
DSCN0362
In the end, I had something that looked like this!
(You can see my white polka dots on red inspiration came directly from the ribbon off a student gift.)
DSCN0364
Here it is hanging up in my living room!
I LOVE IT!
I'm super proud of myself, and we can use this over and over.

I made it for a little over twenty bucks.
DSCN0375
And here is the side by side comparison of the two:
sidebyside
Now go out and get Pinspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment