Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013 New Year's Word. Contentment.

 In trying to decide upon a New Year's resolution, I thought I'd lean more towards the use of one word. I don't want to make a list of things I will accomplish. That can be very overwhelming to me. I mean, I want to accomplish most of those things that everyone does each year:

1. More time with Jesus.
2. More time reading.
3. Get healthy.
4. Continue to run more.

In fact, last year I made some resolutions to take care of my health. I started running. I'd say I did a pretty good job of resolution-ing.

However, this quote above struck me. "Make it simple, but significant." 

Lots of my friends are writing about a word they would like to focus on, and I really love that idea. What would be the one word that could make a significant impact on my life if I focused on it instead of a list??  So while trying to think of a word that could also tie into my spirituality and relationship with Jesus as well as my health goals, I thought of "contentment" or just "content."


Why contentment? Well, honestly? I struggle with contentment. I mean, I look over at what others have a whole lot. It may be their "stay at home" mom status that I sometimes envy. It may be that new car they just added when we're driving cars from the 90s.  How about a hundred vacations a year they take? Or maybe I'm unhappy with the circumstances of our marriage arrangement. (That would be scheduling issues with our jobs not our actual marriage. I get so jealous of people who can have all this fun on the weekend while my husband sleeps it away out of his lack of sleep from most of the week.) All of this envy is ridiculous. I need to learn some contentment pronto!

Here's a Bible verse to back up my choice of word for this year.

Philippians 4:11-12

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
11 Not that I speak [a]from want, for I have learned to be [b]content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

What I like most about this translation is the, "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity."

That strikes me because we have had BOTH in our short marriage of eight years. Honestly, we've had some feast and famine financially, so I understand that language. It touches me. The verses continue with "in any and every circumstance." WOW. Can I really say that I am content in any AND every circumstance?

Not only is a resolution around the word contentment a resolution, but it should be a lifestyle. Christ died for me. He knows exactly what He is given me. It is extremely sinful to doubt this in any form or fashion. Life doesn't revolve around me, my circumstances, or how I feel about the little things in life.


I don't think I can say that. This year I've become obsessed with these blogs about less, getting rid of stuff, purging, and cleaning out. I also know that I don't want Micah raised thinking the world revolves around him. However, do I demonstrate this? Sometimes I act like the world revolves around me!  (See the definitely NOT Biblical quote, but still a hilarious statement above. It also has a massive typo on the "I'm", but I'll get over it.)

Contentment is not in my life. It just isn't. Not the way I want it to be.  I'm worried about my weight, my looks, my house, my clothes, my job, etc. I have to force myself to say something I'm thankful for every day. I'm just being brutally honest here. My blessings are bountiful, but I don't take time to look at that big picture. I get too obsessed over something like how I look in a certain dress to being CONTENT that I'm even alive to wear the dress. Is that crazy? Yes, it is. However, I know myself, and I lean on the pessimist side of life. So instead of making a long list of 5 million things I want to change about myself this year.


I decided to start with one word. Content. I want to be content about everything. My clothes. My job. My family. My circumstances. My house. My health. My family's health. I want to intentionally focus on contentment and stop WHINING about things that don't go my way. That's just my natural personality and tendency. I often veil it in sarcasm, but let's be honest. Sarcasm is just an excuse to say what you really feel deep in your heart, but call it a joke. My heart check up is not exactly where I know it should be so I'm confessing my sin. Then I'm making it a new goal to be obedient to Christ's command to be content in ANY AND EVERY circumstance.

Happy New Year! Here's to a year of CONTENTMENT in 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Great word! I could stand to spend a little time thinking on this word throughout the year as well.

    ReplyDelete