Monday, January 28, 2013

When God saves you by two inches.

You may remember that we have put a contract on another house back in November. Yes, I said November. Yes, I am well aware that it is now almost February. This house came upon us as we've been looking for a slightly larger home closer to our jobs. I'm spending five plus hours in the car each week driving to and from work. That doesn't even include the nights I have to stay at work for PTA meetings, Parent Teacher Conferences, etc. I can't even come home on those nights.  I work at a late school which means most days I don't get home until 5:00 or 5:15. Micah goes to bed around 7 PM, so you do the math of how much time I'm getting with my baby. It's quite depressing, actually.

The lovely house that came on the market is in an ideal location for my husband & I, and it is also located one mile from my parents. I think I'll let you see why that is just another awesome reason to live there. The price was right, and the payment per month was right in the range we're in now. Thanks to low interest rates, we were going to have plenty of living space without upping our budget one bit. Add the cost savings in gas alone, and we're talking mega savings in our budget.

Anyway, the story is really, really long, but the house is in a flood plain. In fact, most of the street is in the flood plain, but over the years many house have been taken out of the flood plain. In order to do this process, you hire a surveyor (paid for by the seller) and then mail the results off to petition FEMA to have the house removed from the flood plain. The surveyor was cautiously optimistic that it would work out, but he warned us that working with FEMA could be a long process.

BOY WAS IT EVER!

However, we received the results from FEMA this week. We were shocked to find out that the house is not in the flood plain. The land is not in the flood plain. Instead, the front corner of the garage is two inches into the flood plain. Therefore, the whole house needs flood insurance to the tune of a whole lot of money each year!!!

At first, I was devastated. I wanted this house. I had attached myself to this house, and I had started thinking about it. I prayed every night (as did Mr. C) for clarity and a clear answer from the Lord. I do not want anything that the Lord does not want me to have. I don't want to get ahead of him and muddle life with my below average human intelligence and view of this life.

At work on Friday, my friend said, "Leah, looks like God saved you by two inches! That's such a God thing to do, isn't it? Sometimes he speaks loudly & sometimes he speaks boldly & sometimes he speaks by two inches."

It hit me like a ton of bricks. How many times in my life (looking back) have I seen how the Lord saved me by a metaphorical two inches? I can honestly think of several situations where this has happened to me, and I am just so thankful for those two inches!! Has God ever saved you by two inches?

No comments:

Post a Comment