Sunday, November 27, 2011

Woodland birthday party prep.

So I've been off since last Tuesday afternoon, and I've been in holiday/birthday prep mode. I've found some awesome Pinsperation for Micah's woodland themed birthday party coming up this Saturday. I've got an entire board dedicated to the theme on Pinterest, and as you know I've been a little obsessed with all things woodland since I decided that would be the theme for his nursery. To this day, this post is the most read on my blog. So I guess there are some other lovers of all things woodland out there, too? Y'all never comment, but you frequently hit me from Google searches, so I know you are out there! Well, keep reading because I have a few more things and links I've found online if you'd like to use them.

At any rate, as a working mom, I've got a lot on my plate to clean the house, prep for the party, and work full time. I've got a list a mile long of things I want to do, but I'm not sure which of the things on my party list are going to actually come to fruition by Saturday. I guess we'll see.

Here are a few of the things that I have gotten accomplished while I've been off this weekend for Thanksgiving.

Several weeks ago on a recent girls' night out, I went to a place called Paint-a-Piece. I designed and made Micah's plate there while hanging out with my MOPS buddies! You design the object, they fire the painted piece, and you come pick it up. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2
I started and made Micah's birthday banner. I found this set of free printables online that included a birthday banner. I printed them out in black and white to use as a template for my own creation.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

See, I found some incredible scrapbooking paper packages at Target for $1 in the Dollar Spot that was woodland themed with owls, trees, and fall leaves. I decided I wanted to tie his theme in somehow with this scrapbooking paper. This seemed like a simple solution.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

It was a little time consuming, but I'm a former scrapper and teacher so I enjoyed myself.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

This was the end result which I should probably go buy string, hole punch, and hang it properly.
Instead, I taped it to the wall. This was easier for me, and I am already one step closer to being decorated by Saturday morning!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

Then I found this link on Pinterest to wonderful spring inspired scrapbook paper tree centerpieces. I thought that would make a wonderful centerpiece on the buffet table for Micah's party this coming weekend so I went to read their tutorial.

Let me tell you, I loved the picture of their scrap book paper tree. However, they did it the hard way. I mean, they made templates. They traced perfect leaves. They used floral wire. That's not what I did in my version.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

I cut leaves in various sizes freehand and glue gunned them to the tree branches that I got from my yard. It was so much faster than their method. I think it took me an hour? This was another way to tie in the owl scrapbook paper from the birthday banner. I like how it turned out, but I might be partial. Haha! To further coordinate with the owls (since I can't seem to find any birthday plates or balloons in the stores or online with anything other than owls), I ordered these plates online, along with matching cups & balloons.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

My last project for the night is tackling these owl goodie bags for the kiddos out of some other scrapbooking paper and clear bags from Dollar Tree. What do ya think? Does it look like an owl?

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2


Anyway, that's where I am on the party process for now. I'm hoping that everything on my magical list actually gets accomplished. And now maybe I gave you some more inspiration for your own woodland themed birthday party!

3 comments:

  1. looking cute. love the banner and the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I discovered your blog from your post on facebook. It is so cute! I just joined it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agggh! So cute! Can't believe he is already one!!!! K's bday is in January. Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete