Thursday, March 22, 2012

Natchez Trace spring break day 2.

Hi, friends! Welcome to our last day of posting about our vacation. Hopefully the pictures haven't bored you, but I can't take any credit for most of them. I've gotten lots of facebook messages in comment from my real-life friends saying how beautiful the shots are in the posts. My husband was a commercial photographer in another life (loooonnnng story), and we have some awesome camera equipment. Plus he has a degree in photography. Yeah, pretty much makes our vacation photos look like professional magazines at times. =) You should see my pictures from a trip to Montana. At any rate, I loved "scheduling" blog posts this week. It made my week much easier. Hope you have enjoyed our little adventure into the woods.

We arrived at Natchez Trace on Thursday afternoon (3/15/12) to check into our cabin. On Friday (3/16/12), we rode the most northern part of the Natchez Trace Parkway, and on Saturday (3/17/12) we opted to stay around the park and explore things there for the day.
DSC_0433
One of the things we did was drive around just getting the layout of the park. After that, we took Micah on a walk hoping to lull him to sleep. (It didn't work. I don't think he napped the whole time we were gone. He's not a big napper when he's not at home.) We headed out through the woods near our cabin.

I want you to understand that I am in no way a "woodsy" girl. I hate the woods. I love to admire nature, but I have no desire to be a part of nature. (This means I refuse to really camp or sleep in tents on the ground.) As a compromise for my nature adoring husband, a "rustic" cabin was perfect for us. By rustic, I mean no tv, no phone, and no internet. I brought a lot of books, we had a lot of long "couple" talks at night, and I got to focus on my quiet time. It was heavenly. =)

I took this photo of the cabins, ours was the one in the middle.
DSCN0709
Directly across the lake from our cabin was this huge bridge that spanned the lake. We wanted to try to walk across the lake, so we headed down the path to the lake. Here is Mr. C rolling the stroller down that huge hill.
DSCN0710
When you get to the bottom, you see the first bridge separated by land to the second bridge. On the other side are paddle boats & a swimming "beach" for families.
DSCN0711
The view out on the lake as you walked down the bridge.
DSCN0713
I snapped a photo of our cabin from across the lake.
DSCN0714
Mr. C on the bridge with Micah.
DSCN0716
Enjoying the beautiful day!
DSC_0387
Me & Micah
DSC_0389

The woods out by our "house" for the weekend.
DSC_0358
The rest of Saturday we spent touring some Civil War battlefields including Parkers Crossroads, Tennessee.
DSC_0396
Civil War cannon (or replica, not sure which)
DSC_0398
This was the most interesting part of the tour to me. This was an old burial ground for Union soldiers buried by the fence after the war. The remains were moved back to the north, but one unidentified soldier's remains are still buried as a reminder of the war somewhere along this fence.
DSC_0407
An old civil war era home on the battlefield.
DSC_0408
The barn outside of the house.
DSC_0416

It was such a beautiful day. I mean, just look at God's handiwork. It was one of those days you want to bottle up and live forever!
IMG_0325
After the Civil War battlefield tours, we came back to enjoy a wonderful barbeque buffet at the park lodge followed by some reading and relaxing on our deck.
IMG_0324
We ended the weekend with a lovely night sky.
DSC_0429
I can't tell you how much I highly recommend checking out your local state parks! Our experience was absolutely amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment